Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Day 8 and a little of 9.... food for thought...

Week 2 activities have ramped up, I have to say, it's great. I find the work outs are much more balance... need to get up earlier now to get the extra activities in, this waking hour is enough of a challenge, let alone adding the extra fitness in. I find by the time the evening arrives I’m ready to just do nothing, I don't think I've ever looked forward to weekends as much as i do right now, even then we still need do our PCP, but at least we get to go back to bed....

Food has been pretty good and enjoying the meals, the amounts for me are good and I enjoy cooking, I could do with some more protein spread through out the day, mainly because I do activities during lunch as well, but I’ll see how the plan goes first - Someone mentioned this, but i'd like to better understand the variation in diets..i.e. why one week i might have "X" amount of protein and carbs, and then the next week it's different - maybe this makes more sense, I’d like to know what the intentions are for that week on that particular nutrition? e.g. weight loss, Weight gain..etc..

One thing that I’ve been thinking about is Food & Time - Quite a contentious subject right now.  I've been trying over the last year to use natural ingredients for flavouring food(e.g. Herbs) we can use these in food preparation and cooking - you'd be very surprised how tasty food can be when cooked with these ingredients - Previously and at times still today, I can find that I'd only enjoy food when it is rich with intense flavours, covered, spread, sprinkled, sauced(i just made that word up, but you know what I mean) but i ask, where does it stop ?Food doesn't need to be cooked in oil and sauces to be tasty,  in the end we are only satisfied with these intense flavours and everything else is bland.

A great example of this, sushi/sashimi, relatively low flavours, fish and such has it's own natural flavour, but what do we do, we dunk it in soy sauce and smother it with wasabi...  Funny when you think about it...

From what i can see, that's only one part of the problem, I believe the other part, and i think this is all too common in Asia, also around the globe, we're used to buying food from take aways and restaurant, people don't know how to cook anymore, the convenience and affordability of eating out is too alluring, this unfortunately makes us lazy and highly dependant on others. There is also the time factor, again, very common in Asia and i hear a lot of people talking about this, in saying this, if you can't afford time to look after yourself then perhaps you already have some other serious challenges, such as balance in your life.... and generally we suck at that too, just look at our diets and why most folks are doing this project....

I think it's great that all of us making this positive change, but i think that part of that change is re-evaluating our lifestyle and making time for things that are important - Being able to look after ourselves by means of cooking/nutrition, know what to cook, how to exercise, and to make all this work, balance of life...  Nutrition, Exercise and Balance - I realise that none of it works with out the other....

I know, over simplifying it all... but why is it complicated and and who makes it this way?

More Food for Thought: An Editorial Cookbook

P.s Google! Greatest recipe book on earth....

P.s.s T - 81 days

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this recipe book --- I'll have to check it out....I love recipe books and recipes as I love to cook!!!

    ReplyDelete